We are looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Software Developer to join our Data Centre team to help evolve our software products for the microbiology arena.
This is an exciting opportunity to bring your skills to bear on our platform while we transition from traditional software to a robust architecture for SaaS.
While we employ for specific roles, we are all hands-on to all aspects of software engineering and development; if there are aspects you want to learn and participate in, we will endeavour to make that happen.
We want our candidates to be already working with the best technologies and be knowledgeable about alternatives, with the ability to explain why your ideas will benefit the team and the product. A fundamental understanding of developing for Debian based Linux OS (generally Ubuntu) is an absolute must.
Alongside all members of the Data Centre team, your objectives should be:
- To play a large part in shaping the software platform, automation tooling and network capabilities to allow for scalability.
- To visualise, design, and develop creative and innovative software solutions that facilitate and aid in the growth of our products.
- To create scalable software packages and applications that are unit tested, code reviewed, and checked regularly for integration.
- To regularly examine existing technology stacks to identify flaws, then suggest and create solutions for them using relevant design and architectural patterns.
- To fill gaps in the testing of the APIs to ensure a comfortable safety net of test suites to allow rapid and safe development.
- To make it a personal mission and enforce the team mission to effect continuous improvement of the software we produce.
- Design, code, and test technical solutions to the business needs we face.
- Learn and understand appropriate system development lifecycle processes and apply our methodologies effectively on our software products.
- Apply and share knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve service to clients.
- Understand project and development plans and clearly articulate your role within project goals and timelines.
- Adhere to coding standards defined by the technical team while being cognisant of any improvements that could be made.
- Establish responsible estimations, deadlines and personal work plans.
- Take part in being a mentor and mentee with colleagues.
Our ideal candidate will have the following or equivalent skills:
- Excellent and demonstrable proficiency in PHP.
- Excellent proficiency in HTML and CSS.
- Excellent knowledge of the HTTP lifecycle.
- High proficiency with SQL relational databases including MySQL and PostgreSQL
- High proficiency in VueJS and knowledge of Angular and React.
- Good knowledge of software development and deployment processes and principles.
- Good experience with more than one object-oriented programming language.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of object and component methodology and technology.
- Possess basic knowledge of classes, components, objects, and interfaces.
Nice to have skills which will help are:
- Good understanding of both Apache and Nginx, and/or equivalent HTTP server technologies.
- Basic knowledge of XML/XSL.
- Actively using and up to date with cloud technologies like AWS, Digitalocean and the like.
Qualification and Experience
We acknowledge that not all candidates will have a degree or higher academic achievement. We consider all applicants based on education combined with experience, detailed below.
We would make exceptions for the right candidate within reason.
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering or information technology and 2+ years commercial experience in web agency or web application development.
- No degree and 4+ years commercial experience in web agency or web application development.
The above options must be combined with at least 6+ years experience (professional and academic combined) working with any of PHP, Java, Python, C# or C++
Colleagues and Leadership
This role reports to the Head of Data Centre and works regularly with the Principal Engineer, Project Manager and the Software Development Team.